Friday, March 7, 2008

Experiment in art

I have been experimenting with art for the past few weeks. I have kept an art journal and have been drawing sketches in it for about three weeks. I have a couple of pieces that I really like and feel I can turn into a real piece of art. While drawing these sketches every day I learned what kinds of mediums I like to use for art. My personal preference is using colored pencils. You make the shades of the colors light or dark depending on the amount of force or pressure you put onto the pencil. Also if you make a mistake you can somewhat erase it. I made an art piece related to a poem that I wrote and I did it all in colored pencil. I had darker colors and lighter colors and I blended colors also. I feel that I can do a lot with colored pencils, more than I can with paint. I did one of my sketches in my art journal with watercolor and I did not like the feel of the blending and how runny the colors were. I think if maybe I used acrylics it would have made it easier to paint a picture. I have really started to like art and have taken an interest in it.

This weekend I am interviewing an artist, Brenda York. She has a wonderful website and has made quite a living for herself. I am going to ask her questions about how she started her artist career and what her inspirations to paint are. If you would like to see some of Mrs. York's art I would suggest visiting her website; www.brendayork.com She is a very talented artist! I will also post the information I receive from my interview in a blog post next week.

I am really glad that I have been experimenting with art and paints because I have taken an interest in it. I may one day want to be an artist or just draw or paint for fun! We will see.

No comments: